Today is the first day of my Vegas diet and workout session. Of course, I'm not promising that we'll look like these gorgeous Victoria's Secret models after this short program, but it'll serve as a good source of motivation. =]
I just want to repeat what I mentioned in yesterday's post. I don't recommend following this plan for more than 2 weeks straight, because you'll probably wear your body and your mind out. Strict diet and workout plans are hardcore for a reason. They will help give you that final push you need to fit nicely into that tiny black dress or bikini or that jump start you need to begin your weight loss journey. But, you will definitely not be able to last on these programs for long-term weight loss. Moderation is the key to long-term weight loss and maintenance, not hardcore diets.
The Diet Plan
Sad to say, but diet is a CRUCIAL, if not the most important component to weight loss. Many trainers say that 80% of weight loss is due to what you eat, and the other 20% is exercise. Ya, exercise will help a lot, but if you're still stuffing your face senseless with fast food, soda, or even healthy food but in extra large portions, it won't matter if you're burining 400 calories at the gym- you will still gain weight. You are still consuming more calories than you are burning. So in a sense, weight loss can be really simple. Calorie deficit equals weight loss.
Of course, it's not as simple as it sounds. Especially for girls like me, I really enjoy eating good fatty food and sweets. I have the biggest sweet tooth you can imagine. I crave desserts after each meal or snack. Lol. It's good to have a cheat meal or day during a long-term weight loss journey, but no cheating will be allowed in this plan.
Here's an example of what I would eat on this plan:
- CALORIES: Watch and limit your calorie intake as much as possible. Remember, it is easier to refuse that chocolate brownie than to burn it off by running for 30-40 minutes. I personally hate counting calories everyday because it is so stressful, but I find it quite important when you want to lose a certain amount by a certain date. Calories In VS. Calories Out. During the next 10 days, I will be consuming a maximum of 1000 calories. My body burns 1about 1300 calories a day at my metabolic rate. Your calorie needs will differ from mine, so make sure you check what yours is at http://www.thedailyplate.com/.
- SWEETS: No added sugars or sweets at any time.
- CARBS: 1-2 servings of carbs a day (around 25g)- SMALL PORTIONS. The best time to intake carbs is right before and after your workout. It'll give you the energy you need, and will help replenish the energy you spent. Try to schedule your workouts in the morning so you consume and burn off your carbs earlier in the day. Fruits also count as carbs. But, if you don't have to have carbs, refrain from them!
- PROTEIN: Consume a serving of lean protein in every meal (about 3-4 oz./size of a deck of cards). Your body will need the protein to help repair your muscles from your work out.
- WATER: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated. When you find yourself snacking, thing again. Did you drink enough water for the day? Snacking might be your body's way of telling you that you're dehydrated.
- SALT (Optional): Limit salt intake as much as possible 2-3 days before your big day. Salt doesn't have a direct effect on weightloss, but salt will cause your body to retain water and make you bloated. Bloating = no good for tight dresses. Lol.
- 8:30 am Pre-workout Snack: Half a banana (I don't like workout out on a full stomach)
- 10 am Post-workout Meal: Protein shake with Almond milk
- 12 pm Lunch: Steamed fish with marinara sauce, Salad
- 3 pm Snack: Greek yogurt with flax seeds
- 6 pm Dinner: Grilled lemon pepper chicken breast, Salad
- 9 pm Snack (Optional): Greek yogurt