I started the "Miracle Juice" portion of my 5-day detox yesterday, which is my modified version of Ann Louis Gittleman's Fast Track Detox Diet. Read more about it here. Here is the recipe again:
Detox (2 days)
a. Juice Recipe (1 day serving; Make a fresh batch every day)
1. 2 quarts Cranberry Water (see below)
2. ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3. ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
4. ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
5. ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (~2 oranges)
6. ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1 lemon)
7. Stevia to taste (Truvia is my favorite! I used 3 packets.)
1. Bring Cranberry Water to a light boil; reduce the heat to low.
2. Add spices to the liquid.
3. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes; cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in the orange and lemon juices. Add stevia at this time.
iii. Cranberry Water Recipe (2 quarts)
1. Add 8 ounces unsweetened cranberry juice to 56 ounces filtered water.
I tried to go as organic as possible and bought most of the ingredients at Henry's Farmers Market, excluding some of the spices I already had in my kitchen. The most expensive item was the pure cranberry juice, which came out to $6.99 for 32 fl oz!
Importance of each ingredient in the juice:
Cranberry juice: As many of you know cranberry juice is vital in flushing your body of toxic fluids, which can account for as much as 10-15lbs of water in your body!! Cranberry juice is also important detoxing your liver.
Spices: These spices help rev up your metabolism and fight hunger.
Orange and Lemon juice: The Vitamin C in these juices helps thin and de-congest bile, making it easier for the liver to break down fat.
According to the Fast Track Detox Diet regimen, the consumption of the "Miracle Juice" should follow these guidelines:
- 6 AM - 1 cup filtered water
- 7 AM - 1 cup Miracle Juice
- 8 AM - 1 cup filtered water
- 9 AM - 1 cup Miracle Juice
- 10 AM - 1 cup filtered water
- 11 AM - 1 cup Miracle Juice
- 12 PM - 1 cup filtered water
- 1 PM - 1.5 cups Miracle Juice
- 2 PM - 1 cup filtered water
- 3 PM - 1 cup Miracle Juice
- 4 PM - 1 cup filtered water
- 5 PM - 1.5 cups Miracle Juice
- 6 PM - 1 cup filtered water
- 7 PM - 1 cup Miracle Juice
- 8 PM - 1 cup filtered water
- 9 PM - 1 cup Miracle Juice
- 10 PM - 1 cup filtered water
Mix in 2 to 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds into your first and last drink of the day.
So far, the detox hasn't been too difficult. I actually like the taste of the juice compared the the lemonade/cayenne drink (Master Cleanse); it almost tastes like apple pie. I only added 3 packets of Truvia to the juice, because I didn't want my drink to be too sweet. I've found that if I made my drink too sweet, I got sick of the juice easily. Having the drink more tangy/sour made it easier to drink throughout the whole day.
I filled up my biggest water jug with all the juice for the day, and brought along a re-fillable water bottle.
These are all the items I will be using/eating during the detox. Though I already had several of these items, I purchased everything else (mostly organic) from Henry's Farmers Market.
The total came out to $35.64. Not too shabby.
Let's see how the rest of this detox goes! Wish me luck!